Snack time is a big deal…something we don’t take very lightly here at Culina Health. Let’s just say it how it is – I’ve never been a fan of sticking to 3 meals because that’s just not right. Snacks are what get me through the day. And honestly, sometimes I find them more enjoyable than meals.
Not only are they super enjoyable (and a great way to take work breaks throughout the day), but snacking can also be super healthy, and super conducive to weight management. See, following a typical 3-big-meals eating schedule forces you to wait long periods of time between eating. If you eat breakfast at 8am, lunch at 1pm, and dinner at 6pm, you’re waiting about five hours between each meal – that’s a no no.
Something that we love to teach our clients about is blood sugar stabilization. It’s not catchy, it’s not sexy – it’s science. By going long periods of time without eating, your blood sugar drops unfavorably low. Then, when the time comes to finally eat, we’re overly hungry, and we overeat. That causes the blood sugar to spike unfavorably high.
Those dips and spikes in blood sugar – that is what we want to avoid. Why? Because doing that over and over can essentially lead to a system malfunction, where your body is unable to properly digest and use the sugar we eat – aka insulin resistance.
With that said, snack options out there seem endless and overwhelming. So, I’ve put together a few healthier snack swaps for your snack time featuring some of my favorite products that not only taste good but have solid ingredients
Crunchy & Salty
- Flackers with 2 tbsp Cedar’s hummus
- Trader Joe’s omega trail mix with piece of fruit
- Cassava, almond or cauliflower chips with Tenayo or Frontera salsa – the spicier the better! Chip Brands I love: fromthegroundup, Siete, Artisan Tropic
- Pear smeared with Justin’s almond butter
- Berries or peaches topped with 1/4 cup Purely Elizabeth granola
- Alter Eco dark chocolate with Dang coconut flakes
Cold & Creamy
- Roots hummus with Quinn pretzel sticks and handful of baby carrots
- Carrots with Primal Kitchen ranch dip
- 1/2 cup Nadamoo! Ice cream with fresh strawberries
Check out this post for our favorite healthy snacks you can buy on Amazon!