I don’t know about you, but I love a fluffy pancake to start the day. And I’m not talking about the frozen kind my kids eat during the week or the butter and sugar laden ones you get at the diner. No shade to diner pancakes – they will forever have a place in my heart and tummy. But the downside is that most pancakes aren’t the most nutritious breakfast option. They’re typically low in protein and fiber, and high in refined sugars. It’s the perfect set up for that mid-morning sugar crash and the “Ugh, I need a snack already?” moment.
Fear not – I’ve got your back with this breakfast dilemma. I’ve got a recipe that will taste just as delicious as any sugary diner pancake you’ve ever had. Here’s my proof – I made these high protein pancakes for my pancake-loving kids and they had no idea. Want to know the secret? I made them with Hood Country Style Cottage Cheese!
The Hood Country Style Cottage Cheese makes the most tender, soft pancakes. They’re also packed with protein that will keep you full and ready to attack your to-do list all day long. As a Registered Dietitian, I admit that I’m picky when I walk down the dairy aisle. But Hood Country Style Cottage Cheese is the good stuff. It’s got 13 grams of protein in just a ½ cup and 0 grams of added sugar. Aka – it’s perfect to keep my kiddos (and me) full for hours *without* causing that mid-morning sugar crash.
Did I mention that all you’ll need to make this recipe is a blender, a pan, a spatula, and a tablespoon? Prep time is about 3 minutes – just another reason I love this recipe. Mornings with two pre-teens can be a little…chaotic. These are quick, easy, low maintenance, and require few dishes – sign me up! What’s more, the whole fam loves them. So I make a big batch in the beginning of the week, store them in the refrigerator, and BAM breakfast all week is taken care of!
Also…I may or may not be sneaking a quick spoonful of the batter. Sorry, not sorry. Make the recipe and share your thoughts in the comments section!
Hood Country Style Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- 1/2 cup Hood Country Style Cottage Cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1.8 tsp Kosher salt
- Maple syrup, peanut butter, & sliced berries, for serving
- Combine quick oats, Hood Country Style Cottage Cheese, eggs, and salt in a blender. Process on high speed for about 30 seconds
- Heat large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat
- To make the pancakes, scoop 2-tablespoons of batter onto the pan. Spread better using the back of the spoon to make a circular pancake. About 2-3 pancakes will fit in the large-sized skillet
- Allow pancakes to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Gently peek at the bottom of the pancake to check if it's golden brown. Due to the ingredients, these pancakes won’t bubble like a typical pancake. Once the bottom is golden brown, flip the pancakes and cook on the second side for about 1-2 minutes until golden-brown. Then, transfer to the plate
- Repeat until all of the batter is gone
- Add a scoop of peanut butter, sliced berries, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!