I know what you’re thinking: Pancakes = carbs. That might stand true of a typical, old school pancake, but it’s time for a major upgrade. When you think pancakes, we want you to think protein, fiber, and a nutrient packed stack of deliciousness. Pancakes shouldn’t come with guilt, they should come with lots and lots of nutrients. If you think nutrient-rich pancakes can’t be delicious, give us one Sunday morning to prove you wrong.
A balanced breakfast or brunch should have at least 20 grams of protein, and classic pancakes fall short. Starting your day with adequate protein helps to keep you fuller for longer, avoid afternoon crashes and helps contribute to your total daily protein intake, which should be consumed throughout the day and not loaded into one meal like dinner. Protein helps to balance the effects of sugar, helping with blood sugar and hormonal stabilization. It also benefits lean muscle mass and has essential amino acids for making enzymes and hormones.
This recipe is super simple, with only 3 necessary ingredients to form a batter. If you have a banana, an egg, and protein powder, you have pancakes. These protein pancakes are also packed with hormone healthy foods like protein, flax seeds, healthy fats and high fiber fruit, making this meal equally as balanced as it is tasty.
3-Ingredient Batter Protein Pancakes
For the Batter:
- 1 egg
- 1 banana
- 1 serving protein powder
- optional : 2 tsp cinnamon
For the Toppings:
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- drizzle of almond butter
- berries of your choice (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc)
- sprinkle of flax seeds
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana with a fork until it’s smooth. Add the egg and blend together well.
- Stir in protein powder and cinnamon to complete the batter.
- Once hot, pour in pancakes. Flip with ready (firm enough to flip and browned) and cook the other side.
- Add your toppings: Greek yogurt drizzle of almond butter, top with berries and flax seeds. Maple syrup optional. Enjoy!
Give it a try, take a photo and tag us @culinahealth on social media so we can see your stack!