Jump into spring with this simple and delicious green smoothie bowl!
Smoothies are a great way to eat a ton of nutrients in a simple, quick and easy meal that you can take with you on-the-go. This ultra creamy avocado smoothie recipe is one of our favorite ways to start the day right.
We love that green smoothies sneak in vegetables and phytonutrients without you having to eat a bowl of kale. Go ahead and play around with the greens you use and feel free to add in some superfood powders for extra nutrients in this recipe.
Recommended Reading: Easy Ways to Eat More Vegetables in Every Meal
This Creamy Avocado Smoothie is simple and delicious, not to mention packed with healthy fats, resistant starch, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
Keep reading for the nutrition breakdown and our favorite simple green smoothie bowl recipe.
Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese and folate, among several other key vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
This dark leafy green vegetable is high in carotenoids, phytonutrients with strong antioxidant activity (1).
Recommended Reading: The Best Foods for Healthy + Glowing Skin
Not familiar? Maca is a root vegetable commonly sold as a powder and considered an adaptogen. It’s known for its medicinal properties, including its ability to boost stamina, energy, athletic performance, and memory, and balance hormones.
Maca has the unique ability to give you a big boost in energy without the jitters you might get from caffeine.
Studies have found that maca’s hormone-balancing properties can help alleviate unpleasant symptoms (like hot flashes, infertility, acne, and low sex drive) associated with menopause, sexual dysfunction, and PCOS (4, 5, 6, 7).
Additionally, some studies have also found that maca helps reduce depression and blood pressure (8)
Recommended Reading: Nutrition + Lifestyle Tips for Boosting Libido
Bananas are the best. We love that they can be incorporated in tons of different recipes, from smoothies to ice cream.
CREAMY AVOCADO SMOOTHIE
(GF & Vegan)
Recipe: Gabriella Gavalas
Makes: 1 serving
- 2 cups organic spinach
- 1 cup frozen banana
- ½ an avocado
- 1/4-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other nut/plant milk)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tsp organic maca powder
- 1 tsp greens powder
- 1-2 scoops of collagen or plant-based protein powder
- Handful of ice cubes (add as needed to thicken up your smoothie)
- Organic nut butter
- Unsweetened shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- Raw hemp seeds, chia seeds, or flax seeds
- Berries or a fruit of your choice
- In a high speed blender, add in all the ingredients, except for the ice. We recommend slowly adding in the nut/plant milk to make it thicker than a smoothie.
- Next, blend on high until smooth. If needed, add in more ice or liquid for your desired consistency.
- Continue to blend until all ingredients are throughly combined. Lastly, pour into a bowl and top with recommended toppings. Enjoy!
- If you want to drink as a smoothie, simply add in more liquid and lessen the amount of ice.
- You can sub out the nut/plant milk for water if desired.